So, you’ve decided to take some improv classes, eh? Good for you! You’ve ALSO decided to take them at Village Theatre? WELL WE ARE SO IMPRESSED AND HUMBLED AND GOSH (tears) WE CANNOT WAIT TO MEET YOUR FACE.
Here is some basic info you need to know:
HOW DO I GET THERE/PARKING?
– The Theatre is located in the Historic Old Fourth Ward neighborhood and specifically:
349 Decatur St., Suite L, Atlanta, GA 30312
– The building is called the Pencil Factory Lofts (The theatre is on the side of the building closest to Intown Market, Blusion Dry Cleaning & Buffy The Tax Heiress…Yes, she is real and fabulous).
– If you find yourself near Bada Bings Restaurant (corner of Hill and Decatur) you are at the right address, but you just need to come down the street further.
– There is a parking deck entrance at the corner of Decatur St and Grant St. You can park here for FREE. You can also enter into the theatre from here. If you take MARTA, the MLK Memorial Station is on Decatur St. directly across Grant, just a stones throw from VT!
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
– Yourself, obviously and comfortable clothes. It’s not gym but we do move around a lot. Also please bring a notebook and pen. If using a phone or other fancy note taking device, please be respectful and do NOT answer phone calls or text during class.
WHAT TIME DOES MY CLASS START?
– All classes begin on time. Most week day classes begin at 7:30pm. Please make every effort to BE ON TIME. Theatre doors will be open fifteen minutes before class begins. If you’re way early, have a sit down at one of the restaurants in the building.
– Please be aware that Atlanta ALWAYS has some traffic emergency so plan accordingly. Weather compounds anything traffic related. Instructors may decide to not allow a student to graduate / perform in the grad show for frequent tardiness.
– Since there are only 8 classes, students may not miss more than 2 classes and perform in the grad show. Make-ups may be available but are not guaranteed.
– If a student needs to withdraw from class then a rain check may be available for the next semester if space is available. This is a case by case basis based on the student and only with the instructor’s recommendation.
– Due to demand, no refunds are allowed.
GRAD SHOW? WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?
– Part of our teaching philosophy is that you learn by doing, so each class ends with a grad show at the end of the 8 week term. This is the milky candy of the whole thing! Level 1 -3 shows are typically shorter than advanced levels but offer the student a glimpse of stage time that cannot be recreated in a classroom.
– You MUST perform in the grad show to graduate to the next level. Instructor approval is required to sign up for Level 4 and beyond.
JAMS – THE WORKOUT
– Every Thursday after the Danger Show (around 10:30pm) we offer an open improv “jam” or “workout” to anyone and everyone. It’s a great chance to meet other people at the theatre, hang out and get some stage time. Its also FREE. So come on down (actually come down at 8:30pm and check out DANGER! – That’s free too if you are a student, $5 otherwise).